Melatonin, a hormone produced in the pineal gland, especially at night, is involved in regulating the sleep-wake cycle and is also an antioxidant.
Melatonin is a popular treatment for a variety of sleep disturbances. Studies of jet-lag have shown that when melatonin is taken before bedtime for 5 nights beginning upon arrival, it lessens the effects of jet-lag. (Taking it for several days prior to one’s flight does not work.) Melatonin facilitates sleep, shortens the time needed to go to sleep, and decreases the number of night awakenings. The effective dosage ranges from 0.5 to 5 mg.
Scientific studies provide evidence that melatonin supplementation can:
- ameliorate seasonal affective disorder
- improve mental condition of Alzheimer’s patients
- improve neuroendocrine disorders
- inhibit cancer progression
- lower blood levels of homocysteine (a substance associated with heart disease)
Claims that this hormone improves sex-life, increases longevity, lowers blood pressure, or treats or prevents glaucoma have so far not been substantiated.
Our melatonin is a pharmaceutical-grade, purified nutritional supplement.