Tummy Tamers Peppermint Oil
Heather's Tummy Tamers™ Peppermint Oil Capsules~ Best for IBS pain, bloating & gas
* 90 enteric coated capsules per bottle
* Active ingredients:
Peppermint oil, ginger oil, fennel oil
* Formulated specifically for IBS
* 50% more enteric coating than industry standard for other brands!
Take one capsule at a time on an EMPTY STOMACH with just enough cool liquid to swallow easily.
For IBS pain, spasms, bloating, gas.
Calms and relaxes the GI tract.
Peppermint oil capsules, as part of the diet, have been clinically proven to help IBS symptoms, even in children. A recent survey of clinical trials declared peppermint oil capsules the "drug of first choice" for IBS patients with constipation or diarrhea, to alleviate general symptoms, and to improve quality of life.
*Peppermint, as part of the diet, helps relieve abdominal
pain, diarrhea, and urgency from IBS. Menthol and methyl salicylate, the main
active ingredients of peppermint, have calming effects on the stomach and
Although peppermint is such a powerful smooth muscle relaxant that it can trigger GERD (Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease) or heartburn in people who are susceptible, Heather's Tummy Tamers™ Peppermint Oil Caps are enteric coated so they do not dissolve in the stomach. Instead, they pass through the digestive tract intact until they reach the intestines.
For this reason, Heather's Tummy Tamers™ Peppermint Oil Caps are often very helpful for people with both reflux and IBS who cannot tolerate peppermint in other forms (such as teas or foods).
However, individual tolerance levels for peppermint vary greatly among people who are prone to heartburn, so if you have severe reflux you may not be able to use peppermint in any form, even when enteric coated.
*Fennel, as part of the diet, helps regulate contractions of
the small intestine and aids gas expulsion. Fennel also relaxes the gut, which
can relieve spasms of the GI tract. As a result, fennel assists in the dietary
management of IBS gas, bloating, and abdominal pain. Fennel is exceptionally
beneficial for bloating and gas.
*Ginger contains powerful digestive enzymes, and is helpful for a wide variety of gastrointestinal ailments.
Heather's Tummy Tamers™ Peppermint Oil Capsules are considered a medical food, and they are specially formulated to address global IBS symptoms through the synergistic effects of peppermint, fennel, and ginger oils.
Our first concern is that people with IBS are statistically more prone to heartburn, and peppermint is contraindicated for people with heartburn, GERD, and reflux. We have tried very hard to work around this problem, however.
The Tummy Tamers capsules are enteric coated, which allows them to pass through the stomach without dissolving until they reach the small intestines. This enteric coating is resistant to stomach acid.
In fact, we use fifty percent more than the industry standard amount of enteric coating on our Tummy Tamers, to allow as many people as possible to use them for IBS without aggravating any upper GI issues.
Second, we formulated Tummy Tamers to contain not just peppermint oil but fennel and ginger oils as well.
Clinical studies have shown that peppermint oil is exceptionally beneficial for IBS abdominal pain and spasms, diarrhea, and urgency (and it will NOT worsen constipation). Fennel helps relax the gut, regulates contractions of the small intestine, and aids bloating and gas. Plus, it's known to have a calming effect on the bowel. Ginger contains powerful digestive enzymes and has historically been a remedy for nausea.
In addition, both fennel and ginger are traditional remedies for heartburn. Together with the peppermint oil in the Tummy Tamers, they have a synergistic effect on global IBS symptoms without the heartburn risk of peppermint alone.
Even though Tummy Tamers have extra enteric coating, which makes them more expensive to produce, they are actually one of if not the most economical brand of peppermint oil capsules on the market!
How to take Heather's Tummy Tamers
How you take peppermint oil caps can make a world of difference. The capsules MUST be taken on an empty stomach, as they need to pass through the stomach unimpeded so they can reach the intestines before they dissolve. This can take a bit of time, so for this reason it's best to use the capsules to head off IBS symptoms in the first place.
However, some people with severe GERD, reflux, or chronic heartburn may still have problems with the peppermint capsules if they dissolve in the stomach before reaching the intestines. The antispasmodic effect you want to happen in your intestines will then occur in the stomach, and this relaxes the esophageal sphincter at the top of the stomach. That can lead to heartburn.
There are a several measures that can prevent this from happening:
1) Take the Tummy Tamers on an empty stomach at least one hour before a meal. This gives the capsules plenty of time to reach the intestines before they dissolve. (If you're not prone to heartburn, you must still take the caps on an empty stomach, but you can take them right before a meal.)
2) Never take Tummy Tamers during or after a meal because the food will delay the capsules from reaching the intestines, and this could cause them to dissolve in the stomach.
3) Drink just enough cool - not hot - liquid to swallow a capsule easily. While the enteric coating makes them resistant to stomach acid, the capsules are water soluble. Limiting the amount of liquid they'll be floating around in will help them reach their destination without dissolving.
4) Don't take the Tummy Tamers at the same time as any medication (prescription or over-the-counter) meant to lower your stomach acid. Lowering the stomach acid makes the enteric coating less likely to work (remember, it's resistant to high acid). For folks who need to take these medications, try taking the Tummy Tamers about an hour before you take the acid lowering/blocking medication, and then have your meal.
Serving Size: 1 capsule
Enteric coating allows the capsules to pass through the stomach without dissolving and release the three herbal oils within the intestines.
Ingredients: Peppermint Oil Extract, Ginger Oil, Fennel Oil, Gelatin, Soybean Oil, Glycerin, Enteric Coating, Water and Carob.
Contains no: sugar, salt, yeast, wheat, gluten, corn, milk or preservatives
Directions: Take one capsule, one to three times daily, with just enough cool liquid to swallow easily. Do not take with a large glass of liquid as this can dissolve the enteric coating (the coating is impervious to stomach acid but dissolves in water). Take on an empty stomach one hour before eating if you are at all prone to heartburn. Alternately, if you are not prone to heartburn, take one capsule right before a meal. Do not chew.
* This product is a medical food for the dietary management of Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and is intended to be used under a physician's supervision.
|Amount Per Serving|
|Peppermint Oil Extract (Mentha piperita)||0.2ml/180mg||†|
|Ginger Oil (Zingiber officinale)||0.02ml/20mg||†|
|Fennel Oil (Foeniculum vulgare)||0.02ml/20mg||†|
|† Daily Value not established.|